Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
You need to do a lot of running around to dig under the dirt and gather clues and find evidence to either implicate or clear Declan Leuvaarden, Golan Vivaldi, Kalkstein, Ramsmeat, Thaler, or Vincent Meis. Depending on the order you do your snooping about, and the choices you make, you can end up with different characters becoming your prime suspect. Basically gather the evidence and then talk to your suspects, check in with Raymond, and then do it all over again. Possibly several times until you either end up doing an autopsy on the body of the crown witness, or entering the cemetery crypt. (It is possible to do both, but not necessary)
Important note: If you want to do the autopsy, then you must not talk to anyone about the fact that Azar is posing as Raymond prior to doing it (if you have that information). Otherwise it becomes unnecessary. Also, you will die if you decide to expose Azar immediately (he will ambush you in Raymond's house with his assassin).
The Suspects Edit
- Declan Leuvaarden: There are two ways to clear the merchant. Finding out he is the one who pays for Salamander badges is one way to clear him. The other way is to complete the A Gravedigger's Gratitude quest first. Then you find the evidence in the crypt in the cemetery which clears everyone.
- Golan Vivaldi: Zoltan Chivay will tell you all about the dwarf and give you the evidence when you ask him about Vivaldi's bank.
- Kalkstein: "Raymond's" number one suspect and therefore the hardest to clear of suspicion. Depending on the results (because you can go very, very wrong), the autopsy proves Kalkstein innocent. Alternatively, finding Raymond's body in the crypt achieves that as well, it clears everyone and impicates Azar Javed.
- Ramsmeat: You will need to complete the A Gravedigger's Gratitude quest first. You find the evidence in the Crypt in the cemetery. Alternatively, talk to him after completing The Crown Witness and be conciliatory no matter how angry he is. The dialogue option of "I see, settling scores in the underworld" leads to Geralt concluding that Ramsmeat is innocent and talking to him again finishes the quest.
- Thaler: Coleman, Golan Vivaldi, Shani, Vincent Meis and a "mysterious man" will all give you some of the evidence. If you obtain the cemetery pass from Vincent, you may also prove him innocent by doing the quests: A Gravedigger's Gratitude or Anatomy of a Crime. In the first quest, you find Raymond's corpse in the cemetery, proving the detective's dead and Azar must have assumed his identity, which clears everyone. The second one, you discover insect eggs inside the dead criminal's skull, again implicating Azar. Either way, you clear Thaler.
- Vincent Meis: Coleman will provide you the evidence, if he is not killed and you complete The Rat and claim your reward from him on the dike. Alternatively, talking to Vincent after killing the Salamandra at the warehouse and accepting his word instead of going for maximum suspicion will clear Vincent. This path does not require Coleman at all and Geralt need not even leave the Temple Quarter.
Helpful weasel Edit
- Coleman: Not a nice guy, but he is never really a suspect either. Visit him early in the Chapter (if you want to use him and you allowed the Scoia'tael to take the weapons in Chapter I, Strangers in the Night), before you visit Raymond and take The Rat quest. After completing the necessary monster-slaying, you will not be able to find Coleman. You must talk to the innkeeper at the Hairy Bear and ask about Coleman's whereabouts. He will tell you to go to the Dike. As soon as you enter the dike, you will find Coleman talking to the guards. Speak to him and he will tell you what is he is doing there and also provide the evidence to clear Vincent Meis. Then you can visit Raymond.
Once you have found all the evidence, you need to talk with the investigator, who will ask you to kill Ramsmeat. Again, this will depend on what you have done earlier. You may indeed have to go and kill Ramsmeat, or possibly just bluff. Then inform Raymond about the good news. He will offer to meet you near the tower in the swamp. He will also give you a sephirot, the last sephirah required to open the tower.
That meeting at the tower ends Chapter II, so do what you need to do first. It is not tragic in this Chapter as the Swamp and Temple Quarter remain accessible in Chapter III, as do all the characters, so quests can bleed into the next chapter on this one occasion.
- Doing the autopsy early can result in bypassing several of the earlier phases of the quest.
- Don't clear anybody by finding real Raymond's body in Cemetery. This causes a huge loss of XP.
The Investigation Begins Edit
I'm beginning an investigation with the help of the private eye. the goal is to find someone who works for Azar Javed and trace the Salamander boss this way. I must find someone who works for Azar Javed and trace the Salamander boss through him.
Vincent or Money for the Detective Edit
I have my first clues about Salamandra. The City Guard is holding an important witness I need to speak to... I should have a word with the jailor Jethro. I must question the witness being held by the city guards. I should talk to Jethro. (500 XP) or
Money for the Detective Edit
A Trap Edit
It seems that the Salamanders have a secret agent who set a trap for me. I must find out who he is as soon as possible. First I need to interrogate the prisoner being held by the city guards. I should talk to the jailer Jethro. I must learn the identity of the Salamandra secret agent. The prisoner held by the city guards seems to know something, so I should talk to Jethro.
The Witness Edit
It seems that the Salamanders have a secret agent who set a trap for me. I must find out who he is. First I should interrogate the prisoner being held by the city guards. I must interrogate the witness.
I've done some hell of investigator's work. I began uncovering Vincent and I interrogated the witness at the hospital. I found new traces leading to Ramsmeat and Kalkstein. Time to get back to Raymond and summarize our discoveries. It's time to get back to Raymond and conclude our discoveries. (500 XP)
The Alchemist's Trust Edit
There is strong evidence against Ramsmeat and the alchemist Kalkstein. Raymond will take care of the former. I must gain the alchemist's trust. In order to do so, I have to get an important assignment from him. I must go to Kalkstein the alchemist and gain his trust.
The Alchemist's Trust Edit
I have strong evidence against Ramsmeat and Kalkstein the alchemist. Raymond will deal with the thug and I must gain the alchemist's trust. Best to do that by getting an important assignment from him. I must gain the trust of Kalkstein the alchemist [to] move the investigation forward.
Conversation with Raymond Edit
Kalkstein trusts me already. It's time to talk to Raymond and decide how to use this trust. It's time to talk to Raymond about Kalkstein.
I managed to learn some interesting things about our suspects. Now I must wait for Raymond to contact me. I must wait for Raymond to contact me. (500 XP)
A group of Salamander gang members attacked the private investigator! Luckily, I managed to hold them back. I'll see how Raymond is doing. I want to see how Raymond is doing.
The Suspects Edit
The private investigator decided to lay low. He gave me a list of suspects — I should uncover them as soon as possible, while Raymond attracts the Salamander's attention. I must cross-question all the suspects. I'll start with Ramsmeat. ( + 500 XP)
Ramsmeat / Thaler / Declan Leuvaarden Edit
I spoke with Ramsmeat, but his confession alone is insufficient. To get a full picture I need to interrogate other suspects. I should question Thaler the fence. and/or
I spoke with Thaler, but his confession alone is insufficient. To get a full picture I need to interrogate other suspects. I should question the merchant Leuvaarden. and/or
Declan Leuvaarden Edit
I spoke with Declan Leuvaarden, but his confession alone is insufficient. To get a full picture I need to interrogate other suspects. I should question Ramsmeat, the boss of the thugs.
Further Interrogations Edit
|I've heard the stories of Leuvaarden and Thaler. Now I need to interrogate the thug to get a full picture. I need to question Ramsmeat. and/or|
|I've heard the stories of Ramsmeat and Leuvaarden. Now I need to interrogate the fence to get a full picture. I need to question Thaler. and/or|
|I've heard the stories of Ramsmeat and Thaler. Now I need to interrogate the merchant to get a full picture. I need to question the merchant Leuvaarden.|
The Meeting Edit
Raymond sent a messenger — he wants to meet me as he has gained some new information. I wonder how he will react to my discoveries. I must meet up with Raymond.
Autopsy or Bluff Edit
| Autopsy path:
Raymond was not interested in my discoveries — small wonder, there is a newer clue. To move this investigation forward, I must perform an autopsy. The body is probably in the gravedigger's possession and Shani will help me with the autopsy. I cannot move the investigation forward until I finish the autopsy.
Closer and Closer Edit
The autopsy explained a lot of things. I am very close now. Time to go to Raymond's house. Time to go to Raymond's house.
Autopsy Results / Azar Javed + Subterfuge Edit
| No autopsy is necessary:
There is no need to perform the autopsy. I know that Azar Javed is pretending to be Raymond. I will go to him, pretend the autopsy proved nothing and see what happens. I'll try to lure Azar, posing as the private eye, into a trap.
Duped or not Edit
| Geralt is in the dark:
The Ramsmeat Contract Edit
I promised Raymond to eliminate the boss of the Salamander's armed forces — Ramsmeat. I have to prepare well, as he seems to be a tough opponent. I have to kill Ramsmeat.
Ramsmeat is Dead Edit
I killed Ramsmeat. Time to report to Raymond. Time to report to Raymond.
The Tower Edit
I told Raymond that I had killed Ramsmeat. He is going to wait for me near the tower. I must lure Kalkstein to the tower in the swamp.
Opening the Tower Edit
Raymond gave me a Sephirah which forms a part of the key to the tower. All that remains is to take what's inside the tower and we'll get that bastard Kalkstein once and for all. I have to open the tower.
The Secret Within Edit
I have found the magic treatise that Kalkstein desired so badly. For years, it lay safely hidden away in the tower in the swamp. Azar is in for an unpleasant surprise. I must prepare to face Azar Javed.
The Truth Revealed Edit
It's unbelievable. Azar Javed played me for a fool all this time. He killed Raymond and impersonated him. How could I've been so stupid? Azar Javed impersonated Raymond. (1500 XP) or
| Geralt knows the deal:
A Trap Edit
Azar, who impersonated Raymond, is behind all this. I must lure him into a trap. I will tell "Raymond" that I killed Ramsmeat.
The Tower Edit
I told Raymond that I had killed Ramsmeat. He is going to wait for me near the tower. I must prepare to face Azar.
Fake No More Edit
Everything is going smoothly. The fake private investigator gave me his Sephirah. Now I can stop pretending. I must get inside the tower to defeat the false Raymond.
The Secret Within Edit
I have found the magic treatise that Azar desired so badly. For years, it lay safely hidden away in the tower in the swamp. I must prepare to face Azar Javed.
Azar's Escape Edit
I uncovered Azar and his devious trick perfectly. It's a shame that he managed to get away. But, as king Desmond used to say: "there is luck in leisure and if you're born to hang, you won't drown." I uncovered Azar's ploy, but he managed to get away. (2500 XP)