| ||There's never been a problem a well-planned assassination couldn't solve.|| |
|- his gwent card|
The intelligence chief was one of the organizers of the attack by the Scoia'tael on the mages' conference on Thanedd Island. Because the attack did not achieve its primary objective, de Rideaux and Emhyr var Emreis came to the conclusion that there were traitors among them, namely: Vilgefortz, Rience, Cahir, and possibly Isengrim Faoiltiarna.
Being the head of intelligence, he met with the emperor numerous times, with Emhyr growing more and more agitated as to why the spymaster hadn't found Ciri or Vilgefortz yet. After one such meeting where the emperor all but lambasted him, he headed off to visit his lover, Carthia van Canten. As he passed the gardens though, Rience, via teleprojection, appeared and the two had a heated conversation before Rience stated he could hand over Cahir's head. In exchange, Rience wished to know where Stefan Skellen was and what he was planning.
Afterwards, he met with Carthia and told her everything that'd just happened, not realizing Carthia was a lot smarter than she put on and reported to Assire var Anahid.
- Rideaux in French means "curtains".
- He's mentioned a couple times in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and sighted as the one responsible for obtaining information about the Lodge of Sorceresses and their plans to destabilize the Northern Kingdoms.
- In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a card of his image is part of the Nilfgaardian Empire deck.
- During the quest A Dangerous Game, two of his ornate swords can be found during the quest, though Geralt comments that only one dagger is shown.
- See the GWENT standalone game version card: Vattier de Rideaux