While he adds to the game's atmosphere, he has no known role in quests or the story.
He tends to get stuck right after lighting a lamp. Talk to him and he'll proceed to the next, randomly selected lamp. Moreover, if you talk to him near or right in front of his house, before he had a chance to light anything, he will walk back home and despawn. But the lamps will magically light themselves after a while.
His various chat lines are:
- I hope they don't get wet.
- Traipsing around, lighting lanterns…
- I thought I was the only one working.
- Finishing up and hitting the sack.
- Some stay awake so that others may sleep.
- Plow this, I'd rather collect garbage.
- Done with.
- Well, you keep busy.
- Damn, he'll extinguish everything.
- Help me!
- Spare me! I merely light lanterns!
- Back up or get hit with this torch!
When talked to, he says one of the following lines and then proceeds to the next lamp to be lit:
- A medic recommended I take long walks, so I took this job.
- People like me illuminate the blackness of this age.
- I could use an escort some of the places I go.
- You shouldn't linger here.
- I enjoy this job.
No other behavior has been observed.