Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Quest Description Edit
- "Geralt traveled to Velen in search of Ciri, an act that attested to the depth of his devotion. Only a man who has been to this land can know just how vile it is. At this time it was commonly known as No Man's Land. Why? Well, the emperor of Nilfgaard had not yet claimed it, Temeria was in disarray, and the Redanians had already retreated north. No Man had been left in charge, and he had proved a terrible ruler.
Geralt needed to find Hendrik, an imperial agent who had been working on Ciri's case, and to collect from him what information he had managed to gather."
Travel to Velen Edit
After collecting his possessions, walk Geralt to the front door of the palace in Vizima in order to fast travel to Velen at the Hanged Man's Tree. Stop and play gwent with one of the noblemen in the gardens before leaving the palace to earn a gwent card if desired. The nobleman may not be in the palace later on so it might be worth a try to get his gwent card now.
Go to the Inn at the Crossroads Edit
As Geralt rides up to the Hanged Man's Tree the cut scene ends. Several quests will have been initiated in the journal including: In Ciri's Footsteps, Pyres of Novigrad, and Destination: Skellige. These are the quests which will persist through the search for Ciri as part of Act I. Don't worry about all that now though, just proceed through the sad village of Mulbrydale and across the river to the Inn marked by the objective marker.
Note: Along the road between Mulbrydale and the Crossroads Inn you will pass the start of two secondary quests: Funeral Pyres and At the Mercy of Strangers. The first can be started by speaking with a priest praying at a shrine near the road just West of Mulbrydale and the second can be started by rescuing a man calling for help near the banks of the river you must cross before reaching the Crossroads Inn. Both quests are fairly quick to complete, this would be a good time to complete them.
Ask about Hendrick Edit
When Geralt enters the Inn he can either go straight into conversation with the Innkeeper to progress the quest or speak with the couple at a table nearby to learn a tidbit about the current ruler of this land he's arrived in. The innkeeper isn't too forthcoming with information about Hendrick. As soon as Geralt sits down to enjoy a drink the inn clears out and a group of the Baron's thugs enter. Choose any of the following three options with the associated result:
Defeat the Baron's men (optional) Edit
- Back off or die: Causes the baron's men to become hostile and Geralt will be given the objective to defeat the baron's men. Additionally, more thugs will await outside the Inn which can be avoided by sneaking out the back door. The innkeeper will be upset that Geralt has caused trouble and possibly brought the baron's attention to their village but he will tell Geralt what he needs to know about how to find Hendrik. Afterwards either sneak out the back door to avoid more confrontation with the baron's men or go ahead and kill them all.
- I'm a witcher: Causes the baron's men to fear Geralt and they will leave him alone to finish his drink. The innkeeper will thank Geralt for not starting trouble with the baron's men and give up the information needed to find Hendrik. Afterwards Geralt can continue to question the innkeeper to learn some more tales about the bloody baron.
- Care for a drink?: This will lead to a second choice and third choice where Geralt can choose to either pick a fight with the same result as option 1 or Geralt can diffuse the tense situation leading to the same result as option 2. If Geralt does buy them a drink he won't actually pay any but some details about this land's current ruler, the bloody baron, can be gleaned from the conversation.
Note: Your actions with the baron's men here will affect how easy it is to gain entry to the Baron's fort at Crow's Perch during the main quest, Bloody Baron. None of your actions will make things impossible later on, but the nicer you are the easier it will be to gain access to the fort. It will also complicate matters at The Pellar's hut duing Family Matters if Geralt reveals that he's a Witcher to the soliders outside as they will deduce that he was the one who killed their friends.
Look for Hendrik in Heatherton Edit
Not far away from the inn is a town called Heatherton, which has recently been raided by the Wild Hunt. After fending off some rabid dogs attacking a man in the village Geralt listens to his story and learns that the hunt destroyed the village, but singled out Hendrick and tortured and interrogated him for information before killing him.
Search the Agent's Hut Edit
Searching Hendrick's body inside of the nearby shack Geralt finds a key to the cellar in Henderick's boot. The celler door is hidden under an animal skin rug which can be blown off using the Aard sign. Inside the cellar Geralt finds a hidden compartment reached by activating the candle stick held on a nearby wall. Inside the cache he reads Hendrick's notes and learns of two possible sources of information concerning Ciri, the Bloody Baron at Crow's Perch and a Swamp witch near Midcopse. Considering this new information, Geralt must decide where to continue his search next and this quest ends here.
Closing Quest Description Edit
- "Yet it turned out Hendrick was no longer among the living - the Wild Hunt had murdered him. The spectral riders were also searching for Ciri and had beaten Geralt to the punch. The witcher only managed to obtain a few perfunctory notes about his ward, though thankfully these contained some scraps of valuable information. It seemed Ciri had been a guest of the Bloddy Baron, the self-proclaimed ruler of Velen, and that she had quarreled with some witch, presumably the one living near the village of Midcopse."
- On the wooden gate into the village at the crossroads there is a missing poster for Tamara Strenger, Philip Strenger's (the baron) daughter. It offers a hearty reward to any who can rescue her from what is presumed to be a kidnapping.
- As you approach the Inn at the Crossroads you can hear the conversations from several villagers seeming to prepare for an approaching group of thugs. One involves the slaughter of a pig to keep it out of the hands of thieves and the other is a villager that tells his daughter to flee to the woods.