The King is Dead – Long Live the King is one of the main quests on Skellige Islands in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt during which we learn of the death of the good king, Bran Tuirseach.
Journal entry Edit
- Crach an Craite, an old friend, invited Geralt and Yennefer to a farewell feast for the recently-departed King Bran. One does not refuse such invitations in Skellige, and so, willing or not, Geralt had no choice but to meet Yennefer at the castle gates and attend the wake at her side.
- Bran's wake was in full swing, with mead flowing plentifully and Geralt making quite a splash with the jarls, when suddenly Yennefer announced she needed to meet with the witcher in a more private setting. Yet she did not have in mind what you do, dear reader. Instead, she wanted Geralt to accompany her as she broke into the druid Ermion's laboratory. Her goal? To steal an artifact known as the Mask of Uroboros. As you can see, life with Yennefer was full of surprises, a fact Geralt had grown used to and even, one dares say, quite fond of.
'I'm gonna choke and die' outcome when trapped in Ermion's secret chamber:
- After much wandering Yennifer finally acquired the mask she sought. As Ermion's laboratory had grown rather dangerous, she teleported Gerald and herself back to the wake, where they landed with a thud in the middle of the ongoing party. Luckily all the festivalgoers were already too inebriated to notice anything out of the usual.
'Damn, I wanna kiss you, Yen' outcome when trapped in Ermion's secret chamber:
- After much wandering, Yennefer finally found the mask she had been seeking. When Ermion's laboratory grew dangerous, she teleported herself and Geralt back to her quarters. Once there, they... well. what they did is not really any of your concern, dear reader.
- Afterwards, they returned to the wake.
- Crach an Craite only arrived as the wake was drawing to a close – he and the other jarls had locked themselves away in a proverbial smoke-filled room to scheme plans for Skellige's future. That business finished, he now pulled Geralt and Yen aside for a talk. When he heard they were searching for Ciri, he agreed at once to provide them with everything they needed.
- Luckily for Crach's treasury, Yennefer did not need everything, just Ermion's permission to examine a mysteriously deformed forest - the result of a magic explosion that might have involved Ciri.
- Crach promised to convince Ermion, and as his word was as reliable as his beard was red, Geralt and Yennefer set off at once towards the magic-damaged woods.
- Go to Yennefer's rooms and put on formal attire.
- Put on new clothes for your meeting with Yennefer.
- Meet Yennefer at the entrance to Kaer Trolde citadel.
- Go with Yennefer to the wake inside Kaer Trolde.
- Talk to Yennefer in private.
- Beat Cerys to the top of the mountain. (optional)
- Pull Hjalmar's axe out of the stump.
- Go to Ermion's workshop.
- Explore the mysterious room using your Witcher Senses.
- Defeat the aggressive beasts.
- Find the Mask of Uroboros in Ermion's workshop.
- Explore the secret chamber using your Witcher Senses.
- Kill the earth elemental.
- Look around for a way to escape from the trap.
- In order to get Yennifer to approve of Geralt's attire, three specific articles of clothing must be warn. The Elegant Skellige Shirt (black/gold colors), Skellige Breeches (the pair that looks to have a strap wrapped around the legs), and the Skellige Festival Slippers. All three can be found in Yennifer's room at the Inn. Remember to unequip all weapons and your gloves prior to speaking with Yennifer, as this will also cause her to disapprove of Geralt's wardrobe choice.