A Sylvan also called a willower, puck or a deovel, is a humanoid, intelligent herbivore with goat's horns on its head, hairy legs with cloven hooves, and a tail with a tassel at the end. They're exceedingly rare.
Their description was given in the short story The Edge of the World.
Known sylvans Edit
"The creature was about half a rod tall with bulging eyes and a goat's horns and beard. The mouth, a soft, busy slit, also brought a chewing goat to mind. Its nether regions were covered with long, thick, dark-red hair right down to the cleft hooves. The devil had a long tail ending in a brush-like tassel which wagged energetically."
- - pg. 176, The Last Wish (UK edition)
Since sylvans and yakshas enjoy partaking of the fruits of others’ labors without asking permission, men do not take to them kindly and at times, fooled by their awkward appearance, will try to solve this problem using force. This often ends in tragedy, for sylvans, despite their corpulent frames, are astonishingly strong and agile.
They also emit a powerful and extremely unpleasant scent which can cause even a witcher, whose line of work accustoms him to foul stenches, to gag and feel faint. Watch out in particular for yakshas, which are fiercer and keener on fighting than normal sylvan.
Bestiary entry Edit
- Sylvans are cruel, greedy and treacherous. Still, I prefer them to dh'oine.
- — Yaevinn, legendary Scoia'tael commander
- Sylvans and Yakshas, a kindred species, are extremely rare woodland creatures whose appearance combines traits of goats and rotund men. These beings usually pose little danger, for they limit their contact with humans to playing harmless (though often bothersome) tricks and eating crops from their fields.
Combat Tactics Edit
Sylvans (such as Fugas, the guardian of the Bald Mountain caves) are deceptive in appearance. That they are fat, and look clumsy, hides almost absurd amounts of physical strength. Melee combat against a sylvan is difficult, even for a witcher. Evade the physical strikes from a sylvan, do not attempt to parry or counterattack. Yrden can allow a witcher time to bring a silver sword into play, but a sylvan can counter this by breathing intense flames that melt through the best armor.
If close-quarters combat is not going well, you should be prepared to make use of long-ranged options. A powerful crossbow loaded with good bolts can keep you relatively safe, while still effective at slaying this beast.
- At least some of them can breathe fire if provoked.
Notes & references Edit