Declan Leuvaarden is initially one of the prime suspects in the case. He certainly has the wealth to finance some less than above-board enterprises. He belongs to a secret society about which he will not speak. He quite possibly paid to have the Professor released from jail. Things really do not look good.
However, as Geralt continues his investigation, it becomes increasingly apparent that the merchant is not involved, despite his reluctance to discuss what it is he really does. In the end, the results of the autopsy on the crown witness seal the deal, he is definitely not involved.
- Finding out he is the one who pays for Salamander badges is also a way to clear him.
- This quest is only spawned by reading the List of suspects given to Geralt by Raymond.
- This quest can not be spawned by completing Suspect: Vivaldi and then talking to Zoltan, who knows that Leuvaarden is the richest man in the Temple Quarter now that Vivaldi is broke. That dialogue option with Zoltan only becomes available after the quest has been acquired from the list of suspects. (Note: The dialogue with Zoltan becomes available after completing Suspect: Vivald however Suspect: Leuvaarden still does not initiate until the other conditions are met. Occurred in the Directors Cut 2011 )
- Extra XP: There are 400 XP available for finding 4 clues to Leuvaarden's innocence. These clues are also starting conditions for the quest:
- They say Leuvaarden finances many shady schemes. (100 XP)
- The guards are on the take. I saw Leuvaarden paying them. (100 XP)
- Seems Leuvaarden belongs to a secret organization or lodge. Interesting. (100 XP)
- The Professor escaped at the last instant. Someone paid a lot to arrange that. The transfer came through the Vivaldis' dwarven bank. Really clean work. (100 XP)
A New Suspect Edit
A Lack of Evidence Edit
I decided to give Leuvaarden the benefit of the doubt for now. If he is guilty, evidence should surface soon enough. I will reopen the case if I find new evidence.
Accused / Innocent Edit
|Accuse Leuvaarden: I'm certain now — Leuvaarden is working for Azar. I should speak to the merchant. I need to find another way of reaching Azar or|
|Clear Leuvaarden: The evidence suggests that Leuvaarden is innocent. I should speak with him. I'll tell Leuvaarden I've found proof of his innocence. (500 XP)|