There are three underground chambers or "rune rooms" around Loc Muinne. Each room has a warded chest protected by one of twenty-four possible combinations of four runes on the wall or floor: animal rune, death rune, sky rune and time rune. In each room there will also be a page with a written hint for the correct order to extinguish the runes (see below). Extinguish the runes in the correct order and the chest will open. If you extinguish the runes incorrectly, you'll either get burned, shocked, or poisoned. You can cast Quen to absorb the damage.
You will need to buy the Runes of Power series of books to decrypt the magical signs and hints in the rooms as part of the quest "The Gargoyle Contract".
Upon deactivation of each seal, part of the following is heard:
- You hold the sword of Aramil, who defied his king's rule. The Lord of the Wild Hunt desires the gene of the Elder Blood. He seeks to fling open the gates between the worlds, so that terror and destruction may reign. The King of the Hunt ordered me slain, and the wraiths born of his command assumed living form, pursuing me through the voids between the worlds for centuries. I have arrived at Loc Muinne. Though tired, I know I will not rest. The riders of the Hunt draw near. On my back I can feel their deathly breath.
Southeast rune room
To access this room, Geralt has to start from the main gate in the East. (For example, this room cannot be accessed from the marketplace).
When Geralt opens the chest, he hears part of the quote listed above.
To deactivate the seal. The clue is "A doe's long shadow. The moon quietly moans. and It is autumn already." You must read book I.
Northwest rune room
When Geralt opens the chest, he hears another part of the quote listed above.
Northeast rune room
This room is guarded by a golem.
- Diagram: Elder Blood gauntlets
- 50 orens
- Random loot
First encrypted rune combination
- A doe's long shadow
- The moon quietly moans
- It is autumn already
Second encrypted rune combination
- Three field mice
- Dance in a circle at dusk
- Stars are like grain
Third encrypted rune combination
- Glittering fish
- Dying on a fresco
- Struck by lightning
Fourth encrypted rune combination
- Behold the comet
- It is like a wolf in times of scarceness
- An evil lullaby
Fifth encrypted rune combination
- Clouds are like bees
- When bells ring
Sixth encrypted rune combination
- On the dark sky
- The beauty of a falcon's flight
- Faster and Faster