Follow the quest marker and examine the dead wolves, then pick up on the tracks nearby. Geralt will eventually discover the lair of the beast which is set on a sharp cliff face. However, the hole is too far up, so he'll have to find another way in. Go around and up the hill and look for a cave entrance near the large tree. On the top of the hill there are some tombstones, the entrance is a rocky hole in the ground, directly north of them. Carefully drop in (you may take some damage here).
Examine the fiend carcass and Geralt will comment on the need to lure the chort. The chort lure formula should then appear in the alchemy tab (though if you bought the formula from a merchant or alchemist, it would have already been there). The fiend dung required for the lure is available in two piles: near the cave entrance and the inaccessible cave exit (which will cause some damage when you exit this way). Make the lure and equip the item in the pocket slot, then use it in the four indicated areas.
Now, return to the cave for a cutscene where the Howler appears. It is vulnerable to relict oil but the cave is small, making evasion difficult, so use Quen to help against its charged attack, which can inflict bleeding. Once it's dead, loot it for the chort trophy, chort mutagen, and a unique 3-slot sword. Return to the Lindenvale hunter for the agreed reward to finish the quest.
Journal entry Edit
- In the village of Lindenvale Geralt came across a highly unusual contract. A certain hunter was worried by some strange tracks he had found in the woods and sought someone who could help him determine to whom - or to what - they belonged.
- The tracks took the witcher straight to a fiend's lair. Geralt quickly determined, however, that this monster was not the true threat to the local populace - not compared to what had killed it. That's right, something had beaten him to his initial task and slain the fiend, and he suspected this something was a chort attacking in an act of territorial warfare. Geralt had no other choice but to lure this powerful monster to him and attempt to slay it.
- Talk to the hunter.
- Search the forest using your Witcher Senses.
- Follow the tracks using your Witcher Senses.
- Find out where the scent is coming from using your Witcher Senses.
- Find a way into the cave.
- Explore the cave using your Witcher Senses.
- Prepare some bait based on the alchemy formula.
- Pour the bait around the hill. 4/4
- Wait in the cave for the chort to catch the scent.
- Kill the chort.
- Take a trophy from the chort.
- Collect your reward for killing the chort.