Contract: Mysterious Tracks is a witcher contract quest in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
- Talk to the hunter.
- Search the forest using your Witcher Senses.
- Follow the tracks using your Witcher Senses.
- Find out where the scent is coming from using your Witcher Senses.
- Find a way into the cave.
- Explore the cave using your Witcher Senses.
- Prepare some bait based on the alchemy formula.
- Pour the bait around the hill. 4/4
- Wait in the cave for the chort to catch the scent.
- Kill the chort.
- Take a trophy from the chort.
- Collect your reward for killing the chort.
1. The quest is available from the Lindenvale Notice Board.
2. Speak to the Lindenvale hunter regarding the quest. The reward given on this page is attainable after haggling.
3. Follow the quest marker and examine the carcasses of the wolves. Examine the nearby tracks and follow them using witcher senses.
4. Geralt will eventually discover the lair of the beast which is set on a sharp cliff face. Go round and look for a cave entrance near the large tree.
5. Drop down into the cave from the newly discovered entrance. The fall can hurt!
6. Examine the fiend carcass (whilst looting the cave for valuables) and Geralt will comment on the need to lure the Chort. The Chort lure formula should then appear in the alchemy tab (it didn't for me because I bought the formula from the merchant in Lindenvale). The fiend dung required for the lure is available in two piles near the cave entrance and the inaccessible cave exit (which will hurt Geralt when he leaves).
7. Make the lure (there's enough crow's eye in the vicinity), equip the item in the pocket slot and then use it in the four indicated areas.
8. Return to the cave for a cut-scene.
9. Kill the Howler. It's a named chort and vulnerable to Relict oil. The cave is small making evasion of the chort's charge attack slightly difficult so the Quen sign is strongly advised. Its attacks inflict bleeding. If attacked from the flank or rear it takes a while to turn around and face Geralt.
10. Once it's dead, loot the carcass for the Chort trophy, Chort mutagen and a unique 3-slot sword.
11. Return to the Lindenvale hunter for the agreed reward to finish the quest.
Journal entry Edit
In the village of Lindenvale Geralt came across a highly unusual contract. A certain hunter was worried by some strange tracks he had found in the woods and sought someone who could help him determine to whom - or to what - they belonged.
The tracks took the witcher straight to a fiend's lair. Geralt quickly determined, however, that this monster was not the true threat to the local populace - not compared to what had killed it. That's right, something had beaten him to his initial task and slain the fiend, and he suspected this something was a chort attacking in an act of territorial warfare. Geralt had no other choice but to lure this powerful monster to him and attempt to slay it.