Mandrake is a poisonous plant whose humanoid-shaped roots have many magical properties. The necropolis of Fen Carn is said to have an unusually large "population" of female mandrake plants. Notable among mandrake's many alchemical uses is its use in the potion that maintains the longevity of sorcerers, preventing further ageing (but not restoring lost youth).
"Mandrake, or Love Apple, is a class of plant from the Mandragora or nightshade family, a group including herbaceous, stemless plants with parsnip-like roots, in which a similarity to the human form may be observed; the leaves are arranged in a rosette. M.autumnalis or officinalis, is cultivated on a small scale in Vicovaro, Rowan and Ymlac, rarely found in the wild. Its berries, which are green and later turn yellow, are eaten with vinegar and pepper, while its leaves are consumed raw. The root of the m., which is a valued ingredient in medicine and herb lore, long ago had great import in superstitions, particularly among the Nordlings; human effigies (called alruniks or alrunes) were carved from it and kept in homes as revered talismans. They were believed to offer protection from illnesses, to bring good fortune during trials, and to ensure fertility and uncomplicated births. The effigies were clad in dresses which were changed at each new moon. M. roots were bought and sold, with prices reaching as much as sixty florins. Bryony roots (q.v.) were used as substitutes. According to superstition, m. was used for making spells, magical philtres and poisons. This belief returned during the period of the witch hunts. The charge of the criminal use of m. was made, for example, during the trial of Lucretia Vigo (q.v) . The legendary Philippa Alhard (q.v) was also said to have used m. as a poison.
The root of the mandrake plant is poisonous, but exhibits magical properties.
- After completing the Daily Bread quest, Geralt can give any meat food to the "Elf" NPCs in and around the cave. Any Elf inside the cave at night will unlock Han and Mandrake root in return. The Elf who stays outside of the cave even at night will give entries for Honeysuckle and Bryonia instead.
- Ritual Plants
- Abigail gives Geralt two of these with the cash reward upon completion of The Barghest Contract in Chapter I, but it does not unlock the ingredient entry.
- Several are required for Hunting the Wild Hunt in Chapter IV. They can be found in the kurgans outside the hermit's hut.
Players can now pay "real world" money to buy mandrake (), which can be used within the game to buy alchemical items like potions, etc. Players who participate in special Versus events can also win mandrake.
While this plant grows wild and is quite abundant, it can also be purchased. Merchants who sell white myrtle include:
- Anezka in Lobinden
- Vilmos Bartok in Flotsam
- Mottle outside Vergen
- Sambor in the camp followers' encampment
- Myron in the Kaedweni camp
- Relic peddler in the Kaedweni camp
- Felicia Cori in Vergen or Loc Muinne
- The Incredible Lockhart in Loc Muinne
- Marcus in Loc Muinne