- "Skellige is its clans. In times of war, tradition holds the clan unite under the leadership of their king. We've bid Bran farewell. Time to pick his successor, who will lead us against the Black Ones. The gates of Kaer Trolde stand open to all who held Bran of Clan Tuirseach dear. Mead and meat will be plentiful. During the wake, those who believe themselves worthy of the crown will step forth."
- —Crach an Craite[src]
Konung is word in Skellige dialect refering to title "King of the Isles" while Rhena means "Queen". Originally these isles were inhabited by independent clans, but these later united to face the growing threat from barbarians as well as the rising powers of the Continent. Skellige then became monarchy and so king needed his official seat. For this purpose castle was built on small island northwest of Ard Skellig and south of Spikeroog, named Kaer Almhult. In practice, however, each ruler preferred to keep to his clan's seat, and Kaer majestic keep was left unused. Eventually the decision was made to turn it into a prison.
Position of monarch is quite different than others, he is elected by jarls of influential clans from them or their younger relatives. It often happens that the heir and successor is descendant of previous ruler. Sometimes however there is that big number of "proper candidates" the wake must occur and election happens. Coronation occurs under hallowed tree, Gedyneith in the western forests of Ard Skellig, where candidate takes crown and axe. Power of ruler is not absolutistic like of those on North, king is more of symbolic position and pretty much relies on jarls' and main commander's of fleet, Jarl's of Skellige, support.
Skellige has polygamy but title of queen is given only either to most nobleborn wife or the one that gave king his firstborn children. If king marries with woman that is allready queen then she is refered to as Ard Rhena ("High Queen") as it was case with Calanthe. When queens husband dies she is expected to be burned alive side by side her love but she has choice. In 1272 widow after Konung Bran, Birna, self-styles herself as "Queen Mother" in certainity that her son will be crowned.
Notable monarchs Edit
- Erlend an Craite the Stonefist, King of Skellige 
- Harald an Craite the Cripple, King of Skellige 
- Bran an Tuirseach, King of Skellige
- Eist Tuirseach, King of Skellige and King of Cintra
- Calanthe Fiona Rianon, Queen of Cintra and of Skellige through marriage with Eist Tuirseach
- Birna Bran, Queen through marriage with Bran an Tuirseach, after his death self-styled Queen Mother
After the death of Konung Bran Edit
After the death of Bran of Clan Tuirseach in 1270s, several children of jarls are trying to take the throne doing various heroic deeds to show off their qualities. The list of possible canditates included Otrygg an Hindar of Clan Heymaey, Blueboy Lugos of Clan Drummond, Halbjorn of Clan Dimun, as well as Cerys and Hjalmar of Clan an Craite. After a bloody massacre only three candidates remain:
Notes & references Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni
- ↑ Conversation between Sjusta and Geralt
- ↑ Conversation between Birna and Yennefer
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Question of Price
- ↑ Skellige: Its History and Geography
- ↑ Map description of Kaer Almhult
- ↑ The World of the Witcher
- ↑ Ciri is referred as "Heiress of the Throne" by Crach in The Tower of the Swallow
- ↑ Ciri's genealogy - Eist Tuirseach
- ↑ The Tower of the Swallow
- ↑ Conversation between Bran's consort and Ermion
- ↑ Conversation between Holger and Geralt
- ↑ Conversation between Crach and Geralt
- ↑ Conversation between Madman Lugos and Geralt
- ↑ Events of The Witcher game series