Bestiary entry Edit
- Monsters most commonly claim innocents as their victims: tardy merchants, reckless children and traveleres who wander into dark woodlands out of misplaced curiosity. None of the above need fear hyms, however. These wraiths only latch onto particularly despicable individuals who have committed some unspeakable crime. To all others, they remain completely invisible. When they do show themselves to the one they torment, they appear as a tall, shadow-clad, humanoid silhouette with long, sharp claws.
- Yet hyms do not sink these claws into their victims. Instead, they sap their strength directly, through inflicting suffering. Speaking in a voice only the victim hears, they drive him to commit acts of violence, aggression and self-harm. A hym will seize on a guilty person's worst fears and weave out of them hideous visions, slowing[sic] driving the poor soul into madness.
- Those tormented by a hym are incapable of restful sleep, for they are tormented by ever-more-frequent, incredibly-realistic nightmares. At times the victim will become extremely on edge, yelling pleas or threats at invisible phantoms or confessing his guilt out loud in the hope this will end his torment. This act does not, however, bring any relief, for the hym will not leave until it has addled its victim's wits completely or driven him to suicide.
Associated quest Edit
Once a hym is exposed possessing a victim, the witcher way of exorcism comes into effect. Moon Dust is unnecessary , but a silver sword coated with specter oil can help finish the fight quicker. Hyms do not move quickly, compared to other spectres. Their ethereal claws have great reach, and they can sap the life out of their victims with a mere brush, which makes up for their slowness. Evade or roll past the claws and try to strike the hym before it can react. Be aware that after several strikes, the hym will teleport to another corner of its room.
The battle against Udalryk's hym takes place in two phases, one in the main chamber of his old home, and one in the basement. During the first phase, damage the hym whenever possible, using Igni to keep it visible while dealing good damage. The Hym teleports often, but attacks slowly, so try and get damage in after every attack. When Udalryk begins to succumb to the hym's madness, immediately use Axii on him to force him to remain calm.
Igni and Yrden are both great helps at keeping the pressure on the hym. Being lit on fire does not have an extrodinary effect on the hym, but it deals fair damage, and helps keep it more visible, especially helpful in the cellar. Yrden slows down the already slow spectre, making it easier to deal damage. When the hym retreats to the cellar, pursue it quickly before it can regenerate. The cellar has candles you must light with Igni to help keep the hym corporeal. Continue fighting defensively, evading its claws and striking as openings present themselves until the hym succumbs.
- As you progress in the quest Possession, you can spot the Hym instead of Jarl Udalryk's shadow while he's outside of his cabin.
- A significantly weaker specter of a Hym may be found in Gaunter O'Dimm's riddle realm, guarding the Venomous Viper Sword.
- When looking for the sword Brokvar in the basement of the old home, you can spot the Hym on one of the walls for a brief moment when the sword is looted.
- A bestairy entry can be obtained by reading Behind the Great Veil.