Humans are the major race in both the Northern Kingdoms and the Nilfgaardian Empire. When they first arrived on the already populated continent, they rather quickly set about conquering the lands already inhabited by elder races. This lead to their dominance and so the elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings are now generally referred to as nonhumans. Interestingly enough, because both humans and elves can easily interbreed, most humans nowadays are believed to have elven ancestors.
Humans and elves are not terribly dissimilar in appearance. Their size is roughly the same but elves have pointed ears, smaller teeth and tend to be more delicately featured. Humans also do not live as long (by far) as elves.
The humans are at war with elves in particular and have a rather poor relationship with the dwarves, halflings and gnomes. The races do live together in the cities, however the non-humans are forced to pay a levy just for being non-humans. Several pogroms have taken place in the cities. Many of the larger human cities were built on the ruins of elven cities which the humans had burned down; cities like Vizima and Novigrad, to name only two.
Human expansion on the Continent Edit
- Humans arrived on the continent more than a thousand years after the elves arrived in their white ships. This event, known as the "First Landing" is very important in human history. They most likely came ashore at the mouth of of the Yaruga and the Pontar Delta. Once on land, Jan Bekker was quick to discover and harnass the Force found there and humans set up the first settlement. It took several hundred years for the elves to notice the growing threat posed by the newcomers.
- Reigns of Radovid I the Great, Sambuk and Dezmod.
- The development of a written language based on elven runes and dwarven ideograms.
- Mirthe is established.
- The Novigradan Union is created.
- Geoffrey Monck takes a group of children to be trained by the elves at Loc Muinne.
- Massacre at Loc Muinne and Est Haemlet carried out by Raupenneck of Tretogor's army. Carnage at Shaerrawedd.
- The introduction of a new ideo-runic alphabet (twenty-four character).
- Raffard the White puts an end to the ongoing six-year war between the kings. While he does not officially rule, he does become the first advisor to the mentally ill king, so for all intents and purposes he did actually rule.
- Creation of the First Chapter and adoption of the laws drawn up by Herbert Stammelford, Aurora Henson, Ivo Richert, Agnes of Glanville, Geoffrey Monck and Radmir of Tor Carnedd.
- Executions of all those who do not recognize the Chapter and the new law. Raffard the White is among those killed.
- Aretuza, a magical academy, is founded by Klara Larissa Winter.
- The first witchers are created.