The Heliotrop Sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers. It is made by crossing one's wrists, and works as a buffer against physical and magical attacks. Geralt uses this sign in the short story "A Grain of Truth" when Vereena uses a sonic attack against him.
- pg.63-64, The Last Wish (UK edition)
- pg.226, The Last Wish (UK edition)
Heliotrop works as a shield against charms, spells, sounds and other energies directed towards it, but is useless against purely physical attacks.
Heliotrop Sign is the ultimate skill (Sense of Magic) on the Magic tree of Geralt's skill set. To use it you must fill the adrenaline bar by using any of the other Signs. Once the bar is fully charged, activate the Sign, this will cause adrenaline to reset to zero. The Heliotrop Sign creates a temporary immobile circular force-field area around Geralt, which considerably slows down everything inside the field except himself.
- The adrenaline bar can start refilling immediately, even while the field is in effect.
- Note that in the case of Quen, casting does not increase adrenaline, but its discharges from receiving blows will - so if you are already under attack, it's usually worth starting the adrenaline buildup with Quen.
In the leaked materials for the third game, Heliotrop was mentioned, like under the cut content for Ifrit. However it was never implemented in game.
- The name of the Sign refers to the Greek word for sunflower, heliotropio, from helios (sun) and trepein (turn/change). ('Heliotrope' is sometimes used in English to refer to the color usually seen in sunflower petals.)
- Heliotrop is the only Sign with Somne not included in the original computer game. However the FCR mod created by Ifrit (modding team) implements a version of this sign for the original game.