Kill the ghouls and talk to the man, Gert Borel, to find out he ran into some bad luck where his cart's axle broke and when the ghouls howled, his horse spooked and tipped over the cart, burying him under the dead bodies. He'll then point out this is how he makes his living: carting away the bodies of plague victims as he's adamant he won't catch it as he never gets ill.
You can then depart now, or convince him he needs to burn the cart and the bodies. Simply use Igni to set fire to the cart and Geralt will then tell Gert to burn his clothes and scrub himself down, though Gert will remark it seems unnecessary as he never catches anything. Important: if you told him to burn it, you need to burn it while still here. Once you travel too far away, the quest will automatically fail if you didn't.
You then go your separate ways until you find him some time later between Reardon Manor and Benek, between several Nekker nests. You then discover that he did, in fact, catch the plague and he asks Geralt to kill him, thus sparing him the misery. You can either choose to kill him or not, as there are no repercussions for either choice. If you choose to kill him, you can set fire to his body like the other plague victims.
Journal entry Edit
- On one of Velen's muddy roads Geralt came across an unfortunate soul trapped under his cart. The man had had an accident while hauling corpses of plague victims. The witcher decided to help him.
- If Geralt chooses to help with the cart:
- Geralt helped the man right his cart. He also advised him to burn everything he was wearing and give his body a good scrubbing, yet the man brushed off this bit of sage counsel, claiming no contagion could touch him.
- If Gert's request is refused:
- Some time later Geralt met the cart driver again and discovered he was now in the last stages of a terminal illness. The man asked the witcher to put him out of his misery, but Geralt refused.
- If Gert is killed:
- Some time later Geralt met the cart driver again and discovered he was now in the last stages of a terminal illness. The man asked the witcher to to put him out of his misery, and Geralt glumly agreed to do so.
- Help the trapped man.
- Help the man burn the bodies.