There’s a tiny island due east of Redgill (on the eastern side of Ard Skellig), known locally as Hemdall’s Finger. Climb ashore to uncover the wreckage of a boat, and a corpse with its legs crushed, under the large oak tree. Use your Witcher Senses to study the crest on the section of boat—it is of unknown origin.
Back at the water’s edge, look for the top of a mast poking out the water. Dive down and inspect the underwater wreck. There’s another unknown crest on the hull, and the chest itself. It contains a letter and the captain’s log. Read the log and there’s mention of a second vessel, which was bound for Ursten in northern Velen.
Journey back to the Continent, locate Ursten (northwest of the Border Post), and head there. Along the main road, near one of the cottages, is a soldier clad in a foreign uniform you’re unfamiliar with. He asks whether you’ve seen a woman and a “plaetyn” who have escaped punishment. Answer how you wish, then head to the objective area towards the mouth of the Pontar river. Climb down to the shoreline.
Close to the objective area are the ruins of the second vessel. Close by are footprints from a mother and child—use your Witcher Senses to spot them. Follow them up the steep river bank, across to a small wooden watchtower, where a woman shouts something in a foreign tongue and flees from you. Chase her down to the river, to a moored boat close to a cave entrance; the aptly-named Widow’s Grotto.
As you enter the cave, so does the foreign soldier, who tells you he’s bringing the child back and killing the “woman criminal.” You can:
- Refuse to let the woman fall into the hands of the soldier, defeat the soldier and receive a small gift of a medallion from the woman (which you can take or give back).
- Tell them it isn’t your business and walk away.
Either way, the quest concludes. 
Journal entry Edit
- Geralt ran into a suspicious gentleman who was looking for a woman who spoke in a strange, unknown tongue. He claimed they came from some far-off land far beyond the sea. She had kidnapped a child, and he had been tasked with finding and punishing her.
- On a small isle in Skellige Geralt found a diary written by refugees from a far-off land. Their ship had wrecked and the fate of its passengers was unknown. Geralt hoped at least some had survived and he would one day have the chance to return this diary to them.
- In a certain Velen village Geralt came across a strange man speaking with a strange accent. The man struck Geralt as odd, even for a foreigner.
- Read the diary found on the body
- Uncover what became of the second ship
- Find the sunken chest mentioned in the journal
- Talk to the foreign woman