Foglers, foglings or foglets (Polish: Mglak) are magical beings said to have arrived during the Conjunction of the Spheres. They tend to be found mainly in swamps, forests, or in the mountains. They are able to lure their prey in traps using magic. Foglers are regarded as essentially humanoid, but with an ethereal quality. They have glowing eyes and mouths, keen ears and long pointed fingers. They feed on the bodies of their victims.
- "I looked for the words "Witcher urgently needed". And then there'd be a sacred site, a dungeon, necropolis or ruins, forest ravine or grotto hidden in the mountains, full of bones and stinking carcasses. Some creatures which lived to kill, out of hunger, for pleasure, or invoked by some sick will. A manticore, wyvern, fogler, aeschna, ilyocoris, chimera, leshy, vampire, ghoul, graveir, were-wolf, giant scorpion, striga, black annis, kikimora, vypper... so many I've killed."
- - pgs. 116 and 1148, The Last Wish (UK and US edition)
Foglets may appear wherever thick fog can arise: swamplands, mountain passes or the shores of rivers and lakes. If no fog is forthcoming, they create or summon it themselves. Quickly thickening air undisturbed by the wind infallibly signals a foglet is present—and preparing an attack.
Bestiary entry Edit
- If night ever catches you in the swamps, stay put and wait for dawn, even if it means standing waist-deep in water with leeches crawling down your trousers. Most important of all, if you see a light in the fog, never, and I mean never, go towards it.
— Johannes Strudd, guide
- Fog is the traveler's foe. In the forest, it can make one lose one's way, at sea, it can send one sailing into the rocks. Yet such dangers are nothing compared to the monsters known as foglets which sometimes lurk within it. These creatures have powerful arms and claws like Zerrikanian kinjals, yet what makes them truly dangerous is their mastery of deception, beguilement and disorientation. Many times they need not attack at all, instead simply driving their prey to madness or into boggy marshlands, after which they wait patiently for it to drown in the muddy waters.
Combat tactics Edit
Rapidly thickening fog tends to be a sign that foglets are close. Prepare Quen if the fog is accompanied by snarling. Foglets create illusions of themselves that can cause physical harm, while the real foglet stalks the area. Damaging the illusions disrupts them, and can reveal the foglet’s location.
While foglets can disappear, watching for moving patches of fog or grass swaying in a path leading directly to their victims is one way to identify their location. It is possible to counterattack a foglet as they materialize to attack, a good way to begin your offense. They can't be attacked when invisible . When the fights make transparent visions of itself they can harm you. Foglets don't like Aard, so make Aard and Quen your main spells.
Aard has also been seen to be able to hit and knock back/down a Foglet while it is in fog form. Yrden is particularly useful for buying a witcher time to react to a foglet ambush, slowing down the monsters and disabling their invisibility. Moon Dust bombs can keep foglets from turning invisible and disrupt their illusions.
- See the GWENT standalone game version card: Foglet
Notes & references Edit