Given that the Redanians control all border crossings over the Pontar, the only way to cross the river legally is with a pass. The shady merchant who starts this quest will offer you a fake one for an initial price of 100. Paying the full price gets you a fake pass and completes the quest. If that's not to your liking, you may either use the Axii sign in dialogue (provided you have at least level 1 of the Delusion ability) which reduces the price to 50, or agree to do some work for the discount.
If you accept the merchant's task, you will be directed to speak to his brother-in-law, Albin Hart, who is busy looting the battlefield to the west. Albin tells the witcher to defend him and his team while they loot the bodies. You can accept it, thus starting the quest Bitter Harvest, or decline it, failing the quest Fake Papers.
If you successfully defend Albin, the merchant will offer you the fake pass for 25, which you may purchase to complete this quest. Otherwise, if Albin dies, the merchant will refuse to do any business with you, and the quest will fail.
Even though there is not a recommendation for a level in this quest, after you talk with Albin Hart the quest Bitter Harvest will start and it has a recommendation of level 9, bear that in mind before talking with him.
Journal entry Edit
- During the war that pitted the Northern Realms against Nilfgaard, the border along the Pontar river was closed. Whoever wanted to cross at the border posts had to show a pass issued by the Redanian high command. Or, barring that, one of the convincing counterfeits sold by the shady Redanian who hung about near the river crossings.
- The false papers proved as good as real ones. Once Geralt had acquired them, he could cross the border at will.
If Albin Hart dies during Bitter Harvest quest:
- The conterfeiter made Geralt an offer he couldn't refuse: a falsified pass in exchange for helping the man's brother. Geralt eagerly agreed to the exchange, but didn't hold up his end of the bargain. The conterfeiter's brother died, and Geralt had to find another way of securing transit papers.
- See what the counterfeit pass seller's brother-in-law needs.
- Return for the discounted pass.