Due to the war, King Radovid V has closed off all the borders into Redania and is only allowing those with a pass through. Naturally, these passes aren't easy to obtain and thus the shady merchant has made some counterfeits for those willing to pay for them.
When asked about the price, he'll ask for 100 initially. You can pay this or ask if there's another way. He'll then state you could help his brother-in-law, Albin Hart, for a discount or, if you have at least level 1 in Delusion, Axii him to get it knocked down to 50 .
If you buy the pass at 100 or 50, he'll give you the transit pass and the quest will complete. If you said you'd think about it, you can then go talk to Albin in the nearby battlefield, starting Bitter Harvest. If he survives, you can then come back and the merchant will drop the price to 25 . If Albin dies though, the merchant will refuse to sell to you and you must find another way pass the guards.
Journal entry Edit
- During the war that pitted the Northern Realms against Nilfgaard, the border along the Pontar river was closed. Whoever wanted to cross at the border posts had to show a pass issued by the Redanian high command. Or, barring that, one of the convincing counterfeits sold by the shady Redanian who hung about near the river crossings.
- If Geralt buys the false papers:
- The false papers proved as good as real ones. Once Geralt had acquired them, he could cross the border at will.
- If Albin Hart dies:
- The conterfeiter made Geralt an offer he couldn't refuse: a falsified pass in exchange for helping the man's brother. Geralt eagerly agreed to the exchange, but didn't hold up his end of the bargain. The conterfeiter's brother died, and Geralt had to find another way of securing transit papers.
- See what the counterfeit pass seller's brother-in-law needs.
- Return for the discounted pass.