- "Emperor Emhyr var Emreis... or, to those on more intimate terms with him: "the White Flame Dancing on the Graves of his Foes". "
Emhyr var Emreis, Deithwen Addan yn Carn aep Morvudd (in the Elder Speech - the White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies), was the Imperator of the Nilfgaardian Empire during the events of the novels, tv series, movie, both PnP RPGs and video games. He was publicly favourable to the Elder Race, in stark contrast to monarchs of the North.
His rule of Nilfgaard was highly aggressive, often pursuing expansionist policies similar to those of his predecessors. This led to the outbreak of two wars against the North, both of which are described in the novels. Emhyr var Emreis was an intelligent and brilliant ruler. He chose his people well and crushed all plots against him. He was ruthless toward traitors and moved towards his goals with great determination.
If you are averse to spoilers and have not read all the books, do not read further. For the alias of Emhyr var Emreis, click here.
When entering Flotsam, Vernon Roche gives his name as "Emhyr var Emreis", a spice merchant during the quest "A Rough Landing". This guard off-handedly dismisses this lie comically; saying: "A spice merchant? Not likely."
Later, the emperor is revealed as Letho's patron, having supported and funded the regicides as a precursor to his plans to destabilise then invade the Northern Kingdoms. As an incentive, he had promised Letho a land within his Empire where Witchers could be free to live without the hatred and prejudice they typically experience.
Emhyr var Emreis, as of recently called Ruler of the North and South, is main character during events of third installment. He decided that he would offer Ciri the throne as his successor. However, he required help to find her. Having captured Yennefer along the witchers of the Viper School previously, he made her an offer in exchange for her finding Ciri.
After Geralt chased down leads in Velen, Novigrad and Skellige, Emhyr sent his troops to retrieve him for a progress report. The witcher had brought with him Uma. Geralt explained to the emperor that he and Yennefer suspected that creature may be a transformed Ciri or maybe the key to find her.
Emhyr turned to Yennefer, asking if she can lift the curse on Uma. She stated that she believed she could, and Geralt added a phrase in Elder Speech that Ciri told Dandelion, would-be the key to accomplishing it. If Geralt chooses to seek help against Eredin, he can speak with Emhyr, explaining that he had found Ciri's location but, as soon as he gets to her, the Wild Hunt will attack, so he planned on bringing the battle to Kaer Morhen. Emhyr and Geralt ultimately disagree on who should command Nilfgaard's forces.
Should Geralt encourage Ciri to meet with him, he will cordially greet his daughter by addressing her by all her titles. He then offers Geralt his reward for fulfilling the deal. Geralt can refuse or accept, which would affect his relationship with Ciri. Emhyr would also provide a black Nilfgaardian horse to Geralt. He then asked to speak privately with Ciri, in which he tried offering her the throne of Nilfgaard. Ciri felt insulted at what seemed like bribery and left.
Depending on the choices Geralt made, Emhyr could be betrayed and assassinated by his subjects, due to his inability to defeat Redania and his other foes. However, should he defeat Redania, he will be able to focus on domestic threats and destroy those who plot against him.
Provided Geralt brought Ciri to Emhyr and he wins the war, he will name Ciri as his successor. Should Geralt choose not to bring Ciri before the emperor and she survives the White Frost, he will falsely inform the emperor that she had died. Emhyr then tells Geralt that he never wants to see him again.
Journal entry Edit
- Few names in the Continent's history arouse as much terror and respect as that of Emhyr var Emreis, Deithwen Addan yn Carn aep Morvudd - the White Flame Dancing on the Graves of his Foes. Emperor of Nilfgaard, lord of Metinna, Ebbing and Gemmera, sovereign of Nazair and Vicovaro, he was ruler of half the civilized world and aspiring conqueror of the other half. He was a personage whose deeds and decisions shaped the fates of whole kingdoms and populations.
- What then could he possible want of a simple witcher?
- The emperor clearly and succinctly laid out what he wanted. His daughter and Geralt's ward, Cirilla, was in great danger, for the Wild Hunt was on her trail. Geralt, a superb tracker linked to Emhyr's daughter by the iron bonds of Destiny, stood a better chance of finding her than anyone else in the world.
Associated quests Edit
- Emhyr var Emreis: Emperor of Nilfgaard
- Emhyr var Emreis: His Imperial Majesty
- Emhyr var Emreis: Invader of the North
- Emhyr var Emreis: the White Flame
- Emhyr var Emreis: The Relentless
- Original model made by Arkadiusz Matyszewski resembled Charles Dance more, but was changed later.
- In the English version of The Witcher 3, Emhyr is voiced by famous British actor Charles Dance, who played Tywin Lannister on the HBO series Game of Thrones for example.