There are several opportunities (some might say necessities) for drinking contests in The Witcher (PC). Geralt's stamina will be put to the test. These contests usually involve some goal, though what that goal is may not be clear on the onset. It is usually worthwhile, but it is recommended having either a place to sleep handy, or better still, Wives' Tears on hand for the aftermath.
Participate in drinking contests to gain information and rewards.
- Left-click the "drink" icon in dialogues to choose a beverage and begin drinking.
- Continue drinking until Geralt's rival gives up (otherwise Geralt winds up passed out and you have lost).
- Characters often have drink preferences and may refuse anything but their favoured beverage. Outdrink your opponent but take care not to pass out.
- Use beer wherever and whenever possible.
- Drinking contests are one of four mini-games within the main game.
Notable drinking contests Edit
- Odo — necessary for the story.
- Thaler — next to Geralt, he is the champion, he takes nine beers! Yields the book Shadow People, or the story of His Majesty's Secret Service - which has interesting background information on some of the factions in the game.
- Dandelion — necessary for Dandelion's Lute quest.
- The Messenger at The Hairy Bear — necessary for the story.
- Zoltan Chivay in the Outskirts Inn, yields a diamond worth 60 .
- Drunkard in the Outskirts Inn, yields The Tome of Fear and Loathing I book (mutually exclusive with Yamo Ryeboozer reward).
- Yamo Ryeboozer, the boozer at The Hairy Bear, yields a Wives' Tears formulae (mutually exclusive with outskirts drunkard reward).
- Coleman, at The Hairy Bear, gives away the source of Berengar's stuff if Geralt already knows he is Thaler's supplier.
- Conrad, at The Hairy Bear, not that there is any reward.
- Erkin von Blunt during the posh reception, yields House of the Night signet ring.
- The rich merchant in the alcove during the posh reception, unofficial as there is no drinking contest icon.