Everyone knows what a dog is. Usually, man's best friend is no target for a witcher's sword. Still, it may so happen that a dog becomes wild, cursed, unnaturally ravenous, or all of the above. In these instances, a witcher may need to play dog catcher.
Notable dogs Edit
- Hussar, a mutt of Dune Vildenvert's brother Bastien
- Barylka, a friendly lone dog near Drudge from A Dog's Life quest
It is fairly common knowledge what a dog is. Generally speaking a dog would not be a target for a witcher.
However, there are many cases when dogs become wild, cursed or unnaturally ravenous, sometimes even all of the above. In instances such as these it becomes necessary for a witcher to do battle against them, and other times for him to even play dog catcher.
- Whoever claims that dog is man's best friend, has probably never tamed a wyvern.
- — Anonymous druid
Because there is an abundance of evil men, there is also an abundance of dogs that have become wild and dangerous. The most dangerous of these are the vagrant mutts who have turned their noses from humans and have since developed a taste for blood and carrion.
Dogs will generally remain in packs and choose to attack isolated victims, especially anyone that shows any kind of weakness such as victims too sick or injured to fight back. However, if backed in to a corner, they will defend themselves against any attacker. 
Bestiary entry Edit
- They say a dog's a man's best friend... But in these foul times one best be wary, even of his friends.
- — Alfred Pankratz, beggar from Novigrad
- Some claim dogs are reflections of their masters. A well-treated pet repays his owner with loyalty and trust, whereas an ill-treated one repays this treatment in kind as well, meeting yells with barks and kicks with bites. Since there is an abundance of bad men, so, too, is there an abundance of bad dogs. Most dangerous of all are the vagrant mutts who have lost all respect for men and developed a taste for blood and carrion.
- Dogs usually attack in packs, choosing isolated victims, especially ones in whom they sense some kind of weakness. Packs of rabid dogs usually only dare attack children, drunkards, the elderly and cripples. Yet when backed into a corner, they will defend themselves with frothing bites and sharp claws against all and sundry.
A dogs one known weakness is simply by coating your sword with Beast Oil, however the sign Aard is also good for pushing back a dog, or pack of dogs. Because a dog is lightweight, this works really well. They are also fairly susceptible to Igni, frequently catching fire due to their fur. One on one a single dog is not much of a threat at all; it's a pack of them surrounding you that is the problem.
You have to drop each one quickly while simultaneously dodging out of range of his friends coming at you from the sides and behind. Dogs are also particularly fast on their feet, while they aren't all that strong, their speed can more than make up for it if a Witcher is careless.
Associated quests Edit
Blood and Wine expansionEdit
In Blood and Wine, dogs are found at hanse bases, and are usually named "Hanse dogs" or "Guard dogs". They often attack in packs, and more dogs may be called if a distress fire is lit to signal for reinforcements.
- ↑ Although game assets suggest this is the case, it has not been seen. Having the journal entry would be a minimum requirement.
- ↑ The official Prima game guide