- Contract: Missing Soldiers
- Let it be known the the Imperial Army is in need of a man who knows the area – a hunter or a scout, for example – to help us find a missing patrol.
- It is possible the soldiers fell prey to a monster. If this suspicion is confirmed, anyone delivering the beast's head will be paid a reward by the undersigned. Address any and all question to the same individual.
- Glory to the Emperor!
- –Milan Noran, command of the division stationed in Oreton
Journal entry Edit
- A Nilfgaardian patrol had gone missing near the village of Byways. Geralt took an interest in the matter, for the local Nilfgaardian commander suspected a monster was involved and Geralt knew imperial soldiers were always upfront and honest when it came to pay.
- Geralt discovered that local villagers had decided to make a few extra crowns by digging in an ancient elven mine. Since the old underground complex hid its fair share of unpleasant surprises, it wasn't long before they ran into trouble.
- The self-taught treasure hunters had awakened a particularly nasty kind of vampire known as an ekimmara, and this enraged beast had attacked the Nilfgaardian patrol as it passed through Byways. Geralt decided to eradicate the beast and tracked it to the ruins outside the village.
- The villagers were grateful to the witcher for his help in slaying the ekimmara, so much so they even agreed to pay Geralt a reward.
- The Nilfgaardian soldiers proved themselves honorable men and paid the witcher without a murmur, handing him not only what he was owed for killing the ekimmara, but also a reward for having discovered the truth of what had happened to their missing patrol.
- Explore the village using your Witcher Senses
- Follow the scent of blood using your Witcher Senses
- Explore the tunnels under Byways using your Witcher Senses
- Find out what happened in Byways
- Deal with the ghouls prowling the village
- Find the surviving villages
- Talk to Bytomir
- Find and kill the ekimmara
- Take a trophy from the ekimmara
- Bytomir won't pay you his share of a reward if you reveal to him that you have been hired to slay the monster.
- It is possible to complete the quest without slaying the monster by agreeing with the villagers not to investigate the matter any further, albeit with a reduced reward and XP bonus.