- Contract: Shrieker
- To Whom It May Concern:
- Let it hereby be known that whoever kills the shrieker, the monster that's wove its nest near Crow's Perch and has taken to killing both men and beasts, will be given a sizable reward. Take heed that she's a dreadful dangerous creature and killing it'll take a trained fighter, not just a pack of peasants with pitchforks.
- –Chet at Crow's Perch
You'll be directed to talk to Chet, who's near the entrance into the village. Talk to him to learn Borzoy, the old lord's hunter, tried to take out an unknown beast in the area but was killed by it instead. He'll then point out that the hunter's son, Symko, is the only one that may know something about the beast, but understandably, is in shock over losing his last parent. Chet took in the orphan, so head around the hut to find him with the goats. He reveals a bit about the monster before he starts to get upset. You can use Axii here for some additional if you wish, as either choice will end the conversation.
Now head out to the field east of Crow's Perch. You'll find a dead dog (most likely Ruffler) and some tracks near it. Follow them a short distance to find some monster blood. Follow this new trail as it goes near the water then across and up the small hill and around the ruins nearby until you find one final piece of evidence: tracks that lead into a nearby cave. From this, Geralt learns it's a cockatrice. Head into the cave and once near the only chamber, you'll hear the Shrieker in an inaccessible part of the cave. Use your Witcher Senses to hone in on its hiding spot, which it's not about to leave, so lob either a samum, grapeshot, or dancing star bomb up there to get it to leave. Problem is, it left through a back way, so run out of the cave, going right to chase after it. Don't worry, you don't need Roach here, just run after it and soon enough it'll turn back to fight you.
After it's been slain, claim the Cockatrice trophy off of it along with the other loot, then head back to Chet to turn it in. You'll have the option to tell him to keep the coin for Symko or take it. The quest will then complete, but you can go tell Symko that his father has been avenged, to which he'll thank the witcher before running off.
Journal entry Edit
- Not only did the people of Crow's Perch live in constant fear of the baron's mad impulses and the greed of his band of toughs, but they also had to deal with a vicious monster. They had given this beast a lovely, full-of-wholesome-folk-character name: "shrieker." It had tormented them so terribly that they had decided to pay for a witcher to take eradicate it. Geralt, who was far from deaf to the concerns of simple folk (and also was forever in need of more coin), decided to take the contract on this mysterious beast.
- It turned out a cockatrice had left the tracks. As this beast's name implies, it looks something like a rooster crossed with a basilisk and, according to Geralt, tastes a bit like chicken.
- The cockatrice slain, Geralt took a trophy from its corpse and went to collect his well-deserved reward.
- Talk to the contract issuer.
- Talk to the person who witnessed the shrieker's attack.
- Investigate the site of the monster's attack using your Witcher Senses.
- Follow the blood trail using your Witcher Senses.
- Find the monster's lair using your Witcher Senses.
- Find the monster using your Witcher Senses.
- Drive the monster out of its lair with a Samum, Grapeshot or Dancing Star bomb.
- Chase down the monster.
- Kill the monster.
- Take a trophy from the shrieker.
- Collect your reward from the contract issuer.