- "No evil can survive the Holy Fire! The Holy Fire enlightens, burns and cleanses! Behold the flame of grace and mercy! Special pyre for you, freak - nice slow burning. You'll beg for mercy in all the voices known to you, like the others of your specie"
- —Menge burns Chapelle
Associated quests Edit
Journal Entry Edit
- In those days rampant persecution and the smoke of a hundred pyres choked Novigrad's air. This grim climate provided cover in which a great many bloody butchers built comfortable nests for themselves. Drummed-up conspiracies, mass arrests and show trials resulting in group executions were the favorite building blocks.
- Caleb Menge, the fanatically ambitious commander of the Church of the Eternal Fire's Temple Guard, was one such opportunist, his moment of triumph coming when he unmasked his superior, the former Temple Guard commander Chappelle, as a doppler in disguise.
- Geralt first saw Menge lighting Chappelle's pyre in Novigrad's main square and had no doubt that, for this man, the appellation "fanatical whoreson" was too mild by far.
- Which is why I was not pleased - to say the least - when an unfortunate turn of events led to my capture by the agents of this vile man.
- The paranoid executioner never set a foot outside his fortified headquarters without the company of a crowd of armed guards. Knowing my life was on the line, my friends decided to put into action a risky plan to infiltrate Menge's offices - their only hope for a face-to-face meeting.
- Menge only confirmed Geralt's initial impression of his bestiality upon closer acquaintance. Luckily the witcher's blade ended this madman's life and rid the world of one the more hideous monsters to ever walk its surface.
- Menge's entry states that "the witcher's blade ended this madman's life" even if Triss was the one to kill him.