Is a side quest in Novigrad with recommended level 12. Involves Vernon Roche. Roche tells you Ves is being troublesome and asks Geralt for help with her. After talking to Roche, meet him by Hanged Man's Tree. Ves starts to attack the black ones that are attacking the villagers. Head down to the village and kill the Nilfgaardians and save Ves. There are multiple human enemies here.
It turns out one of the Nilfgaardians survived the attack. Roche wants to spare him, and you can choose to agree to spare him, or tell Roche you want him killed.
If you choose to kill him, Roche will finish him off after getting angry with Ves and taking her weapon. If you choose to spare him, he does not take her weapon. Neither option seems to have any short term impact, but may have an impact on the fate of Temeria, in case of Nilfgaard captures the North. Emhyr will show mercy on Temeria and give it autonomy if the Nilfgaardian officer was spared, or be a tyrant over Temeria, if the officer was killed.
Journal entry Edit
- Those under Roche's command rarely defied orders. When they did, the task of disciplining them fell to Roche's second-in-command, Ves. No one who endured a reprimand from this tight-lipped yet strong-armed soldier would ever think of insubordination again.
- Yet this time Ves strayed from her usual loyalty and ignored Roche's orders by leaving her post without permission. Faced with an unusual dilemma, Vernon decided to turn to the witcher for help.
- The peasants of Mulbrydale had helped Roche's guerillas in the past, so Ves decided to stand in their defense now, in their hour of need, though she knew this was a hopeless and nearly suicidal mission. Had not Geralt and Roche come to the rescue in the last minute, Ves would surely have died a premature death after being cut down by Nilfgaardians, Yet as it were, the imperial troops were defeated – but their leader escaped with his life thanks to Roche's intervention and Geralt's support.
- Vernon Roche fell into dour spirits after Geralt's conversation with Radovid at the chess club. He didn't want to say right then what had blackened his mood. Instead, he asked the witcher to come talk to him at his hideout near Oxenfurt.
- If the quest A Deadly Plot is available, Roche will not be at the Tree. To get him back there, meet him at the Passiflora first. Afterwards, he'll wait for you at the tree, too.